Sunday, June 17, 2007

Whirlwind Weekend...

Friday night I was at the District 2 Holstein Sale. Served free root beer floats or ice cream sundaes to those in attendance. Interesting observation. A larger percentage wanted the floats, rather than sundaes. I think it is because you can always grab a bowl of ice cream, but it is extra special to have the supplies for a float handy.

Got home from the sale and discovered the nephews were stacking hay in the mow. Father in law and I had been baling hay on the ground all week. My hubby was finally able to get some picked up and it was great to have four sets of arms to get it put away. I stepped in and ran the unloader and all was going well until the chain came off the elevator. It was nearly dark, and of course it came off the high end which was in the mow, which has no lights. That shut down the system for the night.

My husband had a couple wiring jobs to take care of Saturday morning, so I was in charge for the morning. We got the elevator taken care of and finished unloading one load, then I headed out to the field to get another load. Unfortunately, I stalled the tractor. Of course it wasn't on a hill, which is necessary right now to start that tractor. It needs new batteries and there hasn't been time to get them, so you just roll it and put it in gear to start it or have someone tow you. That shut the system down again, until hubby got home. He got the tractor restarted, called the nephews back, and I raked up a few more windrows and baled that up.

The vet showed up to check where Breezy was in her cycle at 6pm. She needed to be at the stallions farm, so Kathryn and I loaded Breezy and Henry, and took off for Middlebury, Indiana at about 7pm. I had never been there, but made it in one piece, only needed directions once. Thankfully the neighbor was available and helped me out. Thanks Bobby!! Praise the Lord, when I got there, they had a circular driveway. (I don't back up the truck and trailer real well yet). Unloaded the mare and foal. Took a quick peek at the stallion, (What a nice boy!!!!) and headed back home. We got in about 11:15.

Today was church, lunch with Hubby's family and off to the world of Wal-Mart. We were running out of everything at home. A quick unload and put cold stuff away before evening church. Ran to my dads after church to wish him a happy Father's Day and catch up with my side of the family. Mom and dad were at my brother's for the weekend.

Home felt good tonight. Oh and we discovered that the guineas are starting to hatch. It looks like there were 5 in the nest so far. Will be curious to see how many we have in the morning what the survival rate will be. I sure hope we get a bunch, as my flock is getting kind of small.

No comments: