Monday, June 11, 2007

The Garden Is In!!!!

Yes, I know. Most people have had their gardens in for several weeks. We got a great start with mine, as it got a fresh coating of manure back in April and was plowed in May, but never got worked down. Then a cold snap hit, and it sent a lot of people scrambling to get their newly planted gardens covered to protect them from the threat of frost. I was feeling pretty good about not being in a hurry at that point. But Friday night I ran up the road to see my hubby while he was doing a wiring job for a neighbor and saw his wife's garden. I was struck with severe garden envy. Her tomatoes have got to be blooming, considering how big they looked as I drove by. Of course, she does work at the local nursery, so she has a "special" touch I am sure. Anyway, I told my husband it was this weekend or never. So he and Thomas worked it down for me and even marked the rows Saturday evening. What an easy job it was to put it in the morning. All three kids were more than willing to help and within an hour I had my seeds planted and my 40, yes 40, tomato plants in the ground. I enjoy canning, and I keep my parents in tomatoes all summer as well. If we can keep up with the weeds, we should be enjoying those tomatoes in just a few short weeks.

No comments: