Monday, June 4, 2007

First Time Up

Trying something new....I was faithful at keeping a diary during my college years, but sadly got out of the habit. Isn't it fun to go back and read what seemed so important to us at different stages in life.

Today was a rainy day at the farm, which means inside work for me. I am still catching up laundry after spending most of last week dealing with our first hay of the season. My hubby's father has always carried the hay work during the day while my husband is working. This year, with the kids getting older, more of the farming seems to be falling to me. As a born and raised farm girl, this should come natural, but it doesn't. My childhood farmlife was tractor free, to the utter shock of my husband's family. Growing up on a dairy farm and never being called on to do field work does seem a bit odd, but my grandfather and father took care of such things themselves. Then my older brother stepped in and that got me off the hook.

So now, thirty years later, I am a farmer. I worked up a new pasture this spring and then moved on to teddering hay and raking it as well. I have mastered the basics of this and feel pretty proud of myself.

No comments: