Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Strawberries in my sleep....

Today was strawberry jam day. I went to a local strawberry farm and picked up 16 quarts of huge, sweet berries. The kids and I spent all afternoon making jam. I make cooked jam, but put it in the freezer for storage rather than run it through the canner. They helped get jars around, measured out the sugar and crushed the berries. The final tally is 7 batches of jam, which I think will last for a year, plus dessert of strawberry shortcake tonight. Suzanna loves to cook, so she took care of making the shortcake. She even baked one for Grandpa and Grandma. I think I will be seeing strawberries in my sleep.

They spent part of the afternoon in the blow-up swimming pool. Despite the fact that they put brand new water into, it was hot enough outside that they still had a great time. I think their lips were blue by the time they got out.

Suzanna added a new bunny to the barn today. She purchased a California bunny, which will be a roaster for the fair this September. I suspect it won't make it to a market class though. I can see already that they are all getting attached to her. Oh well, what's one more animal at "the zoo" as I like to call our place.

The vet was out this afternoon and confirmed that Christy, one of our Morgan mares is in foal. The kids were able to see, via ultrasound, the developing fetus. We will have him back out one more time to confirm a heartbeat. He will be back out on Saturday to check Breezy to see if she is ready to visit the stallion. We have chosen a stallion down in Indiana, about an hours drive from us. The mare and foal will go there for about a week since, she can't be bred by shipped semen due to an allergy to it. Oh the wonders of modern day breeding.

No comments: