Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Another hay day

Well, hubby cut hay last Saturday night, and it has been raining ever since. Yesterday afternoon, we finally got a break, which should last for a couple more days. So today I will be raking hay. Late today I will get to go back over it with the tedder, which spreads it out and therefore it gets more sun. Tomorrow the forecast is upper 80s and windy, so it should make then. I am certainly learning my way around the farm.

The foals are growing fast. Henry has a very sweet attitude, until his halter lesson. He wants nothing to do with it, but is slowing learning that I am not hurting him. Lilly is a sweetie about it. She doesn't think she has time to be bothered, but doesn't mind it once I get started. My goal is always to get them very comfortable with being handled, touched, and messed with anywhere on their bodies. Later this summer, after weaning, they will start some more serious training. That will be when they learn to pose and "show-off". We have a couple shows they can go to this fall and hopefully earn a few dollars to pay their way in the world.

Found two more chicks last night from a fourth hen. The guinea hen is still setting. She moved off the nest when I was being nosey and I think she has even more eggs on the nest than the night I took the picture. I am not sure guineas are the brighest birds God created, but we do enjoy their "bug control". It is prime fly time now and there aren't an overabundance in the barn. That tells me the flock of 10 that we have are getting the job done.

No comments: