Saturday, June 23, 2007

My evening in Amish country

Breezy went to Middlebury, Indiana to be bred. The call came yesterday morning that she was bred and ready to come home. I headed south to get her, all by myself. It was nice to be able to drive and think. As I got close to LaGrange, Indiana, I saw my first Amish horse and buggy. They sure do move right along. And the horses never even move an ear toward the traffic flying by them. At one intersection, I thought for sure it was an accident about to happen. The young Amish man and his wife were making a left turn. The horse started to canter through the intersection and looked like it was about to get away from him. But never fear, he got control and with a grin at his wife and a quick glance back at their two young children in the back, they trotted on toward their destination.

I stopped at the local McDonalds and grabbed a quick bite to eat. There were two Amish families in there, enjoying supper and family time. Not so very different from us English.

I arrived at Windmill Acres and found no one home. I had the chance to sit in the truck, listening to the Detroit Tigers game and the sounds of Amish going up and down the road with their horses. You hear them a long time before you see them. As dark came, the buggies all had blinking lights and turn signals. They even have license plates on their buggies.

Once the Lehman family arrived home from their evening with family around a campfire, I was able to get Breezy and Henry loaded. I visited for a few minutes with them. Their daughters seemed as curious about me as I am about their way of life. Such cute little girls, with their blond hair tucked under their prayer bonnets, walking through the barnyard with their long dresses and bare feet.

Off I went down the road thinking how much less rushed their world is from mine. It wouldn't hurt for any of us to slow down a little from the frantic way we attack life. Don't worry, I am not ready to start driving my horses to church and town just yet.

2 comments:

~*~Snappz~*~ said...

Sometimes it takes something simple as a drive to make us think. Sounds like it would have been an awesome experience, something wonderful to see :o)
Love the blog!

LoriLiz said...

Thanks for your nice comments. The blog is a wonderful outlet for my thoughts.