Thursday, June 7, 2007

Wake Up and Catch The Horses

This morning my hubby got up and quickly came back to our room to say there were two horses grazing in the oat field. This is not where they belong!! By the time I looked out the window, a third horse had joined them. They were the three young ones, who are simple to catch. They have the personality of pests, thinking whatever you are doing they are sure to be helpful. This is one of the fun traits I find in my Morgans. I can remember a time when my husband was fixing a latch in the barn. While he worked, a yearling filly stood right beside him like a surgical assistant. She pulled at least three tools out of his toolbag and dropped them on the ground. Hubby wasn't nearly as entertained by it as the kids and I were. Anyway, back to my story.

So I had three on the wrong side, but fortunately the mare who doesn't like to be caught was still on the right side of the fence. But as luck would have it, as I got out to the pasture to start putting everyone back where they belonged, she crossed the open spot in the fence too. I should add that she had managed to loose her halter sometime last week, and I hadn't located it yet to get it back on her.

A quick shake of the grain bucket had three young, eager noses poking at me within seconds. A leadrope on two and my hubby leading one of the caught ones, got them back on the right side of the fence. Unfortunately, Gypsy, the hard to catch mare, was not nearly as interested in my grain. But her insecurity at the idea of being on the wrong side of the fence from her fellow pasturemates brought her to the gate, and into the right spot without much trouble.

I decided she HAD to have a halter back on. I know most people don't like to leave halters on horses, but with one who is impossible to catch, I just can't trust that if I have to get ahold of her, will be able to. With my bucket of grain, three very pesty pasturemates, and patience, I succeeded. She got tired of being followed everywhere she went and eventually gave up and stood still as I slipped the halter back on. I felt like Pat Parrelli, or one of those other experts that you can watch on RFD-TV.

Morning chores got done early since I was already "up and at 'em". The hay has been raked already. With temperatures near 90 and a 20 plus MPH wind, it will bale early this afternoon for sure. I suspect my father-in-law will show up in time to do it, but one of these times, I will get my chance to run the baler for the first time.

No comments: