Monday, November 26, 2007

Glad I didn't have to drive

I have made mention more than once that I really don't like hauling horses. Makes me really nervous. Trainer Mike called last Wednesday with the news that Storm had had the saddle on her back and was ready for someone to get on her. Trainer Mike doesn't start the youngsters under saddle anymore due badly broken leg a year ago from a car accident. A fall on the leg could be very bad for him and so we send them to a friend of Mike's to get them started under saddle.

I shared this information with hubby and was told that it just so happened that there was a tractor up that way that he wanted to take a look at. So combining two trips into one with the price of diesel made a lot of sense.

Then I got the bright idea that Copper, another coming three-year old, needed to get his foundation work started. What better time than while Storm is away at the other trainer's place. So we loaded Copper up and off we went to Mason. The plan was to trade Copper for Storm and headed to Howell. Did I mention that it was suppose to rain all afternoon? That was why hubby was willing to go today. He has a lot of underground work to do yet before the winter weather hits. The next two days sound much better for outside work, so today was the day for riding in the truck.

Well, it didn't rain all afternoon. In fact, the closer we got to Mason, the harder it was SNOWING!!!!! There was at least an inch on the ground by the time we got there. We quickly swapped out the horses and continued on our way, into a steady snowfall. We slowed down and made plenty of space in between us and the guy ahead.....only to have some other idiot driver jump into that spot and fill that extra space. (Just love that part of driving a truck and trailer). Soon we saw our first car in the ditch, then another and another. I admit I lost count. We were in the midst of the first significant snowfall of the winter and the drivers were all clueless as to how they managed to stay out of the ditch last year I guess.

I was grateful that my hubby was at the wheel. If I had been driving, I would have turned around and headed for home. But not my guy.....we continued on and made it to the farm. It only took twice as long as it should have to get there. The bottom line is that we made it there safe and sound. We then went to see the tractor, and eventually made it home in one piece. Thank you, Lord. Believe me I was praying the whole way.

No comments: