Saturday, November 3, 2007

Change.....I'm Not Handling You Well

I have always thought I was a progressive person. Change is good has been my mantra when involved in projects. I have claimed to dislike the phrase, "but we've always done it that way". But after yesterday.....I am an old "stick in the mud".

My computer has been giving me some trouble recently. I do all the business accounting with a program called Peachtree, which takes a lot of RAM. Sounds like I know what I am talking about, right? Don't be too sure, that is just what the tech support person told me. So with great angst, and dragging my feet the whole way, I purchased a new system last week. Yesterday, the computer guy took all my "stuff" from the old hard drive and put it on my new one. So last night, I sat down to the wonder machine.....only to discover that while the REALLY important stuff like the accounting program and hubby's estimating program were safely in the new system, I was missing stuff.

So now I have nothing in my Favorites file.....no saved passwords.....and all my old emails that I just couldn't delete are on the old machine! So slowly but surely for the next 7 years I will be rebuilding all those things.

Before I left the computer shop, the young man (he looked about 12) told me I had a copy of some fantabulous windows system that nobody likes right now, but in a couple years everybody would want, so I should be sure to save the program. I looked at him and asked him, "how old is my computer???? a 1999 version, right????? I don't think I will be changing anything else anytime soon.

By the way.....I think the mouse is possessed. It is a laser mouse and will not go where I aim it. I am NOT liking change much right now.

No comments: