Thursday, November 22, 2007

Veterinary inquisition

Thomas came out with me when the vet showed up yesterday. We had just gotten home from school and he was the only one with his clothes changed. Lucky Dr. Crosley. For some reason, and as I have talked about before, the arrival of the vet is something like a national Holiday around here. I don't know why it surprises me. I was the same way when Dr. Fish arrived at the farm when I was growing up. I can remember riding with him one time and it was the highlight of my summer.

As Dr. Crosley came across the pasture through the pouring rain, Thomas asked him if he knew much about cows, 'cause he had a question. (Mind you, Thomas always has a question.) Dr. Crosley told him he had managed to pass his classes about cows while in college, so he would probably know the answer.

Thomas proceeded to ask him a question about cow behavior and why he had seen Rhoda hopping on the backside of Fancy. He explained that Rhoda is telling us that Fancy is ready to be bred. Thomas thanked him and said, "well, I guess you did know the answer," and almost sounded shocked as he said it. By this time, Dr. Crosley is looking at me with laughter in his eyes, trying to keep a straight face. Believe me it wasn't easy.

Nothing like an 8 year old, to keep you current on your cow facts.

No comments: