Friday, November 9, 2007

Back in time....

Horse business took me to Amish country today. As I got close to Shipeshewana, the extra horse and bugggy lane on either side of the road appeared. Soon I met my first horse and carriage, then someone on a bike and another horse......well, you get the picture.

Shipshewana is a quaint town which gives us English a glimpse of the Amish community. There are many cute little shops and several restaurants advertising "home cooked" meals. Of course, I was there with a truck and trailer, so I was unable to check anything out. See, I am fine going forward with the truck, but I can't get myself in a spot where I would have to put it in reverse. Therefore, parking lots with lots of cars and tourists are definitely out of the question.

I spotted the general store many have told me about. It is like stepping back in time and can fill any odd need you might have for a tool from days past. There is also a GIGANTIC fabric store there too. That is good for an afternoon I am sure.

I was told by Neighbor Melissa and my mom that it was a good thing that I didn't stop at any of the hot spots in town or I would have been in trouble with them. That is a trip in the near future, with some friends to share it with and how about a car, rather than my truck/trailer transportation I was in today.

On my way out of town, I caught sight of a farmer picking corn...not by hand, but with a corn picker pulled by four big draft horses and an auxiliary motor to run the picking part. Just up the road, I met a farmer driving a team of EIGHT draft horses hitched to his two-bottom plow. As I sit at my computer, I can see Mr. Darvin out in the field next to me with a huge tractor/chisel plow going across the land. What a total opposite from where I was this morning.

It is always intriguing to go South of the boarder to Amish country. I find their lifestyle curious, but I think I will settle for the occasional visit that direction and reading about it in Beverly Lewis novels.

No comments: