Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Boy it had been awhile

I had an interview today. I have been asked to run for a seat on the board of directors for our county fair. Yes, I am excited. I am a fair freak. I LOVE the fair. I was thrilled when my oldest was ready for 4-H. I haven't missed many fairs in my life. I can remember when our family moved to West Virginia for a couple years, my grandma sent a big manila envelope with all the local papers for the week. That was great, we could still have a feel for what went on that week. I came home from college for the weekend each year for the fair. In fact, the only fair I have missed since my time in West Virginia was the year Suzanna was born. That year she was born the Thursday before it started and was back in the hospital with jaundice for a few days during fair week. Our pediatrician is a fair freak too and brought me Fiske french fries one afternoon when he came to check on her.

So off I went this afternoon for my interview with the nominating committee. It has been a long time since I have gone through something like that. Being on the mommy track for the past 11 years has kept me out of such situations. I started out this morning thinking that my typical wardrobe was not gonna cut it. Jeans and a sweatshirt wouldn't create an image of a "got it together" kind of lady. Outfit was solved and I was fine until driving into the fairgrounds. I actually had butterflies zipping around in my tummy. I said a little prayer to calm my nerves and headed into the office. I had thought that the nominating committee consisted of people I didn't know and who didn't know me and boy I was concerned with making a good impression. Much to my relief, I knew two of the men on the committee. That made it so much easier.

Soon, I was comfortable with my situation and settled into "talker" mode, which isn't hard for me, and found that the 45 minute interview flew by. I was able to share with them some ideas I have for improving our fair and that was great. I will find out in the next few days if I made it through the process and onto the ballot to be voted on in December.

As I drove back home, I was grateful that my prayer settled my nerves and I was able to relax and enjoy the process. Maybe I wasn't so out of practice after all.

No comments: