Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sugar High

Excuse me as I write this tonight. I am on a sugar high. Our church had a fellowship this evening. All three kids did solos, Thomas and Kathryn on the piano and Suzanna on the violin. Daddy and I got into the act by singing with the choir. Then after a great message we headed for the fellowship hall for some pie. I was in charge of the sign-up sheet and had spots for 10 people to sign up for pies. Well, in typical Baptist fashion, when it comes to food, the motto "less is more," just doesn't work. There were so many pies, we were piling pies on top of pies. There were pumpkin, apple, cherry, pecan, mincemeat.........well, are you on a sugar high yet?? A few sane people brought soup, sandwiches, veggie pizza and chips. I think that was in hopes of counteracting the sugar, but I am not sure it worked for me. You really didn't even need to eat the pies, the sugar was floating in the air. I may be able to fall asleep by midnight.

Thankfully, the kids don't have school tomorrow. That's because they are honoring Veterans Day. I must say thanks to all Veterans. My father in law is a veteran as was my mom's dad. My cousin lost a stepson two years ago in Iraq. That hit close to home.

I do have to say that each year Veterans Day does bring a chuckle to me though as I remember. Suzanna was in Kindergarten and got the day off school. Someone asked her why she didn't have school and her answer was that it was Veterinarians Day. In her 5 year old mind, I am sure that Veterinarians were far more familiar than a Veteran. No, visits from the veterinarian around here are red letter days. Everybody loves Dr. Crosley and they all head for the barn when he gets here.

No comments: