Saturday, December 1, 2007

Eating Barbecue

Last night, we officially got the Christmas season underway. Hubby and I took our employees out for supper. We have gone up to the Outback Steakhouse the past few years, but decided to stay close to home this year. There aren't tons of choices if you want something other than fast food or pizza. Hubby and I are partial to the ChicagoWater Grill, but wanted to save that for next weekend, our wedding anniversary. So we decided to try Saucy Dogs, a local barbecue place. We hadn't been there before, but found it to be a nice place. Very casual dining, which was perfect for our group. You don't sit with tables and chairs, but rather on long benches. Napkins are rolls of paper towels.

Prime rib was the special, and I am always up for that. So were most of the rest of our guests. It arrived and I took my first bite. For those who might not be familiar with prime rib, it is a huge piece of meat that is rubbed with seasonings, slow roasted, and then individual slices are served. I say that because remember, we are eating at a barbecue.......and that isn't necessarily mild Open Pit sauce smeared on some ribs. It also means hot and spicy. And that was what hit me in that first bite. The rub they used was SPICY!! I am not a hot and spicy person, but thankfully I could cut off the outside edge of the meat and enjoy the inside, which had a pleasant, smokey flavor.

Lesson learned about eating at a Barbecue. There is gonna be some spice in that food. Next week, ChicagoWater Grill.

No comments: