Saturday, December 15, 2007

Try to make plans and see what happens

This weekend was all planned out. Scheduling is my speciality. I do much better to have a game plan and get after stuff, rather than just flying into 20 different directions. Hubby is that way too. He always has a plan in his head of what needs to happen and when. Sometimes I get lucky and he shares it with me. The rest of the time, I get just a little information here and there to keep me up to date.

So my plans were all made. Last night, when the kids got home from school, it was off to the tree farm to get our Christmas tree. Then this morning I was heading to MSU for the Holstein Top Ten sale. This is a high level cow sale and in the 20 years it has been held, this was the first time in Michigan. Worth going to so you could say you had been there. Everything selling would be out of our budget, but still I wanted to get up there.

So hubby came in the house at 4pm last evening to say I needed to get out to the pasture and have a look at Fancy's eye, and that I had better bring my cell phone, cause we were gonna need the vet. Well, upon inspection, it seems Fancy caught her lower eyelid on something and ripped it open. YUCK!!!! Her eye seemed fine, but all around it looked mighty nasty. I put a call into the vet clinic and was told they would get someone out ASAP to treat her. So much for getting the Christmas tree.

Vet came out and stitched her back together. There is no way of knowing yet if that flap of skin was viable, but we will know within a few days. Even if it doesn't survive, it will still heal up enough to show her. Suzanna was pretty upset, and escaped before the stitching began. Not such a national holiday this time when the vet arrived. This one was a little too gross for the crew to stick around. We are thankful that it happened in the winter. The cold stopped the bleeding and we won't have to deal with flies either. That will aid in her healing.

So we were off this morning, bright and early, to get ourselves a tree. And then it began to snow. Not soft, gentle snow, but more like dumping. As it started greasing up the roads, I put a call into the neighbors, who were already at the sale to find out the weather up in East Lansing. No snow up there. Did I mention we are under a Winter Weather Warning. The weatherman claims we are getting 12 to 18 inches. We don't trust them, because they are so rarely correct, but it sure seemed like they were right when it started dumping at 9:00am.

We went ahead and got our tree. I decided to stay put. It quit snowing, for now. Harts will let me know if there is something at the sale Suzanna can afford.....not happening. They also promised to "network" with a few of the people I had planned to talk to today and see if anyone has a September or December calf for Suzanna to buy.

Plans are made to be changed. The tree will be in the house this afternoon and I will get the lights on it so the kids can decorate this afternoon and evening. If all the snow they are claiming that is coming......we will be tucked inside tomorrow instead of going to church. Don't make any plans just yet!

No comments: