Sunday, December 9, 2007

On a date that never ends....

Most days, that is what life is like for hubby and I. We celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary today, and I think life with him is outstanding!!!!!

It is icy and not very nice out today. We have been under an ice storm warning all day and it was just changed to a winter weather advisory. Guess the worst has past. Our wedding was in the evening, and it was very cold, and had been snowing for much of the week as I remember. So many great memories go through my head as I remember the evening. The first that really makes me chuckle is my dad whispering that he hoped his pants stayed up while he walked me down the isle. He had gotten a new suit for the occasion and usually wore suspenders with his pants. For some reason he didn't that night and there was some concern that his belt would fail him. Thankfully it did not and he got me down the aisle with no embarrassing moments.

Another fun moment was the "kiss bet" a bunch of our college and career friends thought up during the rehearsal. The bet was that if we could kiss for 30 seconds, we would win the money in the pot. We did our best, but when someone started whistling I lost it with about 8 seconds to go. At the end of that loooooong kiss, someone in the crowd said AMEN!!! The entire church erupted in laughter. As I remember they still gave us the pot. Came in handy on our skiing honeymoon in Breckenridge, Colorado.

The final moment I will mention for now was as we walked out of the church to head for the reception, the bell in the old steeple began to ring. Now I had attended the church my whole life and had never heard the bell. One of the men in the church decided it was time to have it ring and what better time to use it then at the end of our evening. It was wonderful.

So now, 18 years later, we are older, have three kids, and a love that has stood through thick and thin. He is my best friend and I thank God for putting the two of us together.

No comments: