Friday, December 7, 2007

What is it with cats and Christmas trees???

I have three out of four trees up and decorated and boy does that help get you in the Christmas spirit. One problem I have though, is Butterscotch. He is fascinated with one of the trees. Of course, it is the Hallmark tree, which has the most prized ornaments on it. Yesterday morning, while getting breakfast ready, I heard a clunk from that tree and looked over in time to see him swiping ornaments off the tree. I got after him for it, which brought the dog over to stick her nose in the discipline. See she thinks it is her job to get after the cat if he is scolded for anything. Might have something to do with sicking her on him when he was a kitten and scratching furniture. It worked quite well and now he scratches only when he wants Emma to play with him......I know.......crazy right??? Well, I do claim to live in a zoo.

Anyway back to the tree. He knocked another ornament off, I got after him and Emma attacked him again.....the tree was wobbling and I was getting mad at both of them. Finally, Butterscotch lost interest in the tree and decided just to lay under there. Of course Emma thought he shouldn't be near it and kept trying to get under the tree and after him. I was ready to throw both of them outside. Things finally calmed down and off to school crew went. I wondered if my tree would be standing when I got home.

I have memories of another Christmas tree in my past. I was living on my own, in my first "super cool" working woman apartment. Money was tight, but I managed to get a small tree which I put on a table in my living room and decorated with some garland, lights and about 15 glass ornaments. My cat at the time was Ollie, a tabby adopted from the barn. I went home for the weekend and left her alone. She must have gotten awfully bored by herself. When I arrived home Sunday night, I stepped into my darkened apartment and felt a crunch under my shoe. I switched on my light, only to discover my Christmas tree on the floor and all but 5 Christmas ornaments shattered from one end of my living room to the other. She must have had a blast.....but man was I mad at her!!!! What a mess!!!!! I replaced them with another box of ornaments and for the rest of the season, she stayed in the bedroom when I was away from my place.

No comments: