Saturday, September 22, 2007

You haven't lived 'til you wash a chicken

or in our case four of them. The fair has arrived and first up on the schedule is the chicken show. The market chickens made weight with no problem which is a major improvement over last year. A pen of two chickens has to weigh at least 7 pounds to qualify. Last year we just skated in with one hen weighing 3.75 and the other weighing in at 3.25. This year they each weigh right around 5 pounds.

The brilliant minds from who knows where decided that chickens should be washed before they are shown. Why, when they are on a road of no return??? A week from tomorrow they will be headed for the stew pot. Anyway, we follow orders, and they have been washed and blow dried (wouldn't want them to catch cold!). The house reeks of wet chicken and the dog and cat are sizing them up for dinner.

All the non-livestock projects are ready for entry. The heifers have been clipped. The stalls are bedded and the hay has been hauled in. The camper is set, the food is cooked. Get the sense that I am nearly organized for this spectacle??? You would be right. I keep wondering what I forgot, since I am feeling really on top of things this year.

I will keep you posted on how well I feel by the middle or the end of the week. I will try not to talk about my aching feet or back or the fact that I am tired. That will be a challenge!!!!!

No comments: