Friday, September 7, 2007

Toe-may-toe? Toe-mah-toe??

Doesn't matter how you say it, that's where I have been most of the day. Next door neighbor was on her walk last week when I came up the road. Stopped to chat and the subject of canning tomatoes came up. She had been getting them from her dad's garden and had enough. She wondered if I would like the next batch. Considering how slowly mine are ripening, I jumped at the chance and told her to give me a call.

Last night the call came in and she and I went over to her dad's to pick. I ended up with a bushel and a half. So they occupied most of my day, in between errands.

Emma went to the groomers today. I must say I am disappointed. I specifically asked the owner if she had done Springer's. She assured me that she had and showed me the picture of a Springer in her huge breed poster. I left a rather worried Emma at her shop this morning with the promise she would be ready by 1pm. When I picked her up, I knew something didn't seem quite right. The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. Finally, late this afternoon it hit me. While the groomer had trimmed up the "feathers" on Emma's front legs, the ones on her back legs were completely gone. I went on line to the Springer website and confirmed that that isn't how she should have been done!!!!! I know that it is only hair and will grow back, but it isn't right!!!!! And off she will go to the 4-H dog show at the fair in just two weeks. What a bummer!!!!

The rest of the day was canning 7 quarts of tomatoes....boy that canner takes FOREVER to come to a boil and did up 5 pints of 14-day pickles too. Quickly added up time cards so I could do payroll, since those guys really like to be paid. Worked up a bank deposit, pulled the jars out of the canner, headed off to get the kids at school. Today was payday for them, so they had money to burn at WalMart. I got groceries and happily headed for home.

I put another half bushel of tomatoes in my big pot with onions, celery and garlic and heated that up for juice. I will let it cool overnight and then skim off some of the water off so that my juice will be a little thicker. I was at an auction several years ago and was the last bidder on a juicer. It is a great little invention that separates the skin and seeds from the tomato pulp. It is much easier to run then an old fashioned Foley Food Mill.

I will get the juice made tomorrow morning first thing, since tomorrow my potential buyer is heading to Michigan to meet and hopefully fall in love with Snoopy. Time will tell.

Oh, and I say toe-may-toe!!

No comments: