Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Labor Day....The Conclusion

Hay making went well yesterday. We, well more precisely my hubby and father-in-law, put up 67 bales of grass hay and 260 bales of alfalfa. Almost all of it was stacked on the wagons this time around rather than the hay liner. That would be because 3rd cutting was good and we can sell this hay, rather than put it in the hay mow. I got involved in another aspect of hay farming yesterday. I got to take a wagon load of hay to a customer about 5 miles away. I had never pulled a load of hay down the road. Thankfully my mother-in-law was able to ride shotgun and give me a few pointers. It wasn't tough, but it was nice to have someone ride along. What is left we will either sell to the neighbor up the road or at the Saturday hay auction in town.






I took these pictures of my hay guys. This would be a three generation shot of Grandpa Bob driving the tractor, hubby and Thomas are on the wagon. Hubby's bales are a bit heavy, so Thomas was more there for "moral support" then actual stacking assistance. A couple more years and the two of them will make a great team.




Here are Thomas and his daddy. Like I said, Thomas was moral support, at best. Actually, at this point, he was attempting to play games on his dad's cell phone. Of course, as soon as he spotted me with the camera, he had to pose. He is a natural ham. His grandpa jerked him around on the wagon pretty good. At one point while they were stopped to check the moisture in the bales, he requested that grandpa not change gears quite so much and just leave it alone. Grandpa just laughed.
I am off to the kitchen to can some tomatoes. They are coming on slowly. It seems to take a couple pickings to make enough to fill the canner. I don't think it is going to be a great year. Seems like they aren't quite ripened on the top, but are rotting on the bottom. Too much water I think. Never are quite satisfied with it are we???

No comments: