Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day Holiday

I live in a household where a day off is actually a day to get lots done. Anyway that is how my hubby works. He cut hay last week and it all should be ready today. His dad has been here for at least two hours, putting new teeth on the rake and the new batteries into the tractor.

This weekend we hit a major milestone too. Saturday morning, Thomas went out to the hay field to ask his dad a question. Next thing I saw was Thomas in the seat and daddy riding the fender, showing him how to tedder hay. Then before long, Thomas was alone on the tractor and his daddy was working on something else, keeping an eye to the field. Sniff...sniff. I have been told by my in-laws that their kids were doing tractor stuff when they were a lot younger than Thomas. Many stories are told about this child or another driving the tractor with the baler, or raking a huge field of hay. I have held out as long as I could, but I suppose it is time and a right of passage. Thomas would have done it three years ago if we would have let him. He LOVES tractors.

So on this Labor Day Holiday, it won't be much of a holiday around here. The weather is warm and sunny with a little breeze blowing. Perfect hay drying weather. I sure am grateful for that rain we got, (about 12 inches in one month according to Dad's rain gauge) because third cutting is looking good.

No comments: