Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mom, What's an inmate????

That question came from Thomas early in fair week. I explained that an inmate was a person who had done something wrong and were spending time in jail. The reason behind the question was that he had seen a group of men around the fairgrounds cleaning and hauling trash. They wore bright orange shirts with the words "inmate labor" printed on the front.

A day or so later, he asked me "how much money does an inmate get for working here". I told him I didn't think they got paid. I explained that part of their punishment was that they worked for little, if any money. Being a kid who spends his allowance before he gets it, I could tell that that fact didn't sit real well with him.

Today, on our way to school, we had to wait for a flock of turkeys to get out of the road. He jokingly said, "boy, if I had a machine gun, I could have got them all". My reply was, "shooting turkeys with a machine gun will get you a shirt with the word INMATE on the back of it."

No comments: