Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hardly know where to start.....

I have been AWOL for so long, I don't quite know where to begin. Needless to say, getting everyone and everything to the county fair consumed me and left nothing creative in my brain to write here.

Fair is a tradition. I have always enjoyed the week, no matter how exhausting it may be and this year was no exception. Long days and short nights are a guarantee. But so is the fact that you will see many people that you only see once a year. One of my lifetime friends and I started our friendship at the fair and still reminisce each year about the fun we had.......GASP.....25 years ago. (It can't be that many years!!!!!) I chuckle at the number of "kids" I showed with that are now there doing it with their kids. It is also neat to think that my kids are fifth generation 4-Her's!

Sunday was spent at the rabbit show. Suzanna was thrilled to receive Best of Breed with a Holland Lop doe. She also showed a market rabbit, and had two rabbits in the open show that placed as well. Kathryn and Thomas did rabbit showmanship and each received a medal to prove they made it through. Thomas gets the award for honesty. He sat his bunny down on the table and it immediately scurried across the table. He looked at the judge with a big grin and said, "I haven't been practicing much". Give him credit for trying! How that judge kept a straight face, I have no idea.

Monday Suzanna had the chance to play her violin at the Women's Congress program. This is a unique program put on by an organization that has been around for over 100 years. It is believed to be the only Women's Congress in Michigan still doing a program. It originated back in the day when a proper Victorian lady would never been seen at the horse races. So while the men went to the races, the ladies were entertained by musicians and speakers during each afternoon.


Tuesday was the 4-H dairy show and Suzanna had a good day with some really good placings, especially in showmanship. She enjoyed showing Fancy one more time. That cow is a natural show cow, and really likes to be at the shows. Thomas and Kathryn were busy as well that day. They got to play tour guides for their class, which took a field trip to see the exhibits at the fair.

Thursday was another day of showing cows and was also Kathryn's day to shine. She and Emma went at it in the dog show and were a great team. Emma managed to stay for her long sit, which was the first time in three years at the show. She broke her long down, as she had a itch that had to be dealt with.....there is always next year!!!!


Friday was our fun day. The kids wait all week for the chance to ride the carnival rides. We met up with another family from church and divided up the kids based on the rides they wanted to take on. Three hours later, they had conquered them all. Then it was on to some junk food and the tractor pulls. Thomas watched them all with my brother and his wife, while the girls each had had enough before the end came.

Saturday came and I really began to recognize how tired I was. Words no longer came out right, and I was feeling pretty punchy. Still, I managed to make it through the day and on to the depressing part of the fair. The fact that it was over. It is amazing how quickly things begin to be taken apart. Rides were half way down by midnight and by the next morning, were it not for the trash, you would hardly know they had ever been there.

So, once again we survived the week. With great placings, lessons learned and pointers for next year, if we remember. And before we know it, fair time will be here again. But for now, I am still playing catch-up on those lost hours of sleep.

1 comment:

naswanson said...

sounds like a great week. It's nice to know that the Women's Congress still exists. I used to play piano solos there every year. I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up-to-date on your family.