Saturday, September 6, 2008

Aldi Embarrassment

I had to buy groceries yesterday. It seems my family likes to eat. I have driven by the Aldi store in Adrian a number of times and yesterday decided to give it a try. I put my quarter in the slot to get my shopping cart and off I went up and down the isles picking up bargains right and left. There were a number of things that were good deals and I was feeling really successful. That was until I got ready to pay for all my bargains. The clerk ran my purchases across the scanner and gave me the total. A little over $60 for a basket full of goodies.



Then.......embarrassment. As I began to fill out my check, the clerk spoke up with shock in her voice and said, "You aren't going to write a check are you???" I told her I was and she informed me that they don't take checks and that not taking checks is what keeps their prices down. I offered a credit card, pretty much knowing what her answer would be. And I was right, that wouldn't work either. The only thing they would take was cold, hard cash. Oh, NO!!!! I didn't have any cash! She offered to take a debit card, I don't have one of those either. She then offered to suspend the transaction so that I could go to my bank and get some cash. That wouldn't work either. I bank 20 miles from Adrian. My only option was to say, "sorry" and slink out of the store, hoping that nobody knew me.



So, if you ever want to shop at Aldi's, make sure you take cash.

3 comments:

MikeandJen said...

dying laughing! the first time mike and i shopped at aldi's, we did the same thing, except thankfully we saw a sign while we were standing in line... :) WHOOPS!! they can have good deals though.... but i'm more of a one-stop shopper... i like to get it done in one trip, instead of going to several places

naswanson said...

and don't forget your own grocery bags, too.

threecollie said...

I am not fond of Aldis for just such reasons....