Monday, October 13, 2008

Honey, can you come to the corner of .....

That phone call changed my whole morning. The kids have the day off and I had been moving at my own pace. Checking out all my favorite blogs while enjoying a second cup of coffee that was in a mug rather than a travel cup. That's when the phone rang and the voice at the other end required my assistance.

The truck claimed that it had 10 miles 'til empty, but when he came around the corner it burped. Well, he might have said chugged, but I like the word burped better. Anyway, not wishing for major issues with the diesel engine, (something about junk in the filter), he shut it down, rolled to the side of the road and waited for me.

Of course, there is more to rescuing a stranded hubby than just bringing him home. We had to go to the gas station and get a can of fuel for the disabled vehicle. And since he was there, and the truck we were in was a little low on fuel, he filled that up as well. And he didn't get just one can of fuel but rather FIVE. Back to the truck we went, where he proceeded to put all FIVE cans of fuel in. (Why go back to the station again, just get it done on the side of the road!!) Of course what happens to a person who has had two cups of coffee??? She needs to use the facilities. And believe me a corn field was not on my map, so the last few minutes of waiting was spent doing a jig on the side of the road.

Home safe and sound, I thought my assistance was no longer needed. Not so fast, it seemed he could use my help getting the lift loaded on a trailer. I didn't figure it would involve much more than guiding a little to hitch up. Ha!!!! He needed to use a come-along to get the thing on the trailer. He was nice enough to offer me the option of driving the lift up the ramp or work the come-along. I picked run the come-along. I was fine until the lift started going off the ramps and seemed about to fall off. Hubby decided to change plans and backed up to a ditch and it went on much easier.

I finally got back to the house three hours later, totally off schedule and not sure what to do first. Guess I will head up to the storage building and get another coat of paint on the front.

No comments: