Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Trusting a talking box

Today I took mom to the Cleveland Clinic. It was an early departure and we were on the road at 6am.

I have always been the navigator when traveling. Hubby and I have a longstanding system that I am the map person and we typically have to make one wrong turn in the course of our trip. Our family has long joked that we could take mom a mile down the road and spin her a few times and she would have a pretty hard time finding her way home. So she was not going to be the one to get us to the clinic.

Normally I would go to GoogleMaps, get my printout and be on my way. But this time it was different. Dad has purchased a Garman GPS and so we used it instead of a trusty map. This technological genius tells you when and where to turn, and even readjusts if you make a wrong turn. The voice gets a little bossy as you approach your next turn. And if you don't do it "her" way, "she" goes into reconfigure. Even with her assistance, I managed to make my one wrong turn, but we still ended up in the right place, with time to spare, despite the lake effect snow we drove into.

As I considered that talking box, I realized that there are people in the world that think my faith in God is no different than trusting a talking box to get me where I am going. BUT, my faith is not the same. God is someone I call on for guidance and through his Word I am shown where to go. The Bible is so much more than that talking box and I am grateful for such a wonderful truth.

No comments: