Thursday, May 21, 2009

The years roll along

Yesterday marked 25 years since I graduated from high school. It doesn't seem possible. I am NOT old enough to have been out of high school that long. My high school years were a bit out of the ordinary anyway. I attended a small, Christian school from sixth grade thru my sophomore year. Then it was closed and my parents and I were left with the dilemma of where I should go to finish up my last two years. I ended up going to the local public school. It was an adjustment, but I now can look back and see the reasons God put me there.

One big reason was the choice I had made for my college education. I attended Michigan State, and to have gone there after spending my entire educational years at a Christian school would have been an even harder transition. Spending two years at a public school did prepare me for how different the world out there really was.

But the biggest reason was that I met the man who is now my husband because I was there. Although he had graduated the year before I started there, we had a mutual friend at the school. A guy named Dennis and I became friends when he discovered I was a good speller, and constantly asked me how to spell words when we were in English class. He and Mike were good friends and Dennis let Mike know that I was a girl he should get to know. That leads us to another "anniversary" of sorts. Coming up next month, it will be 25 years since our first date.

No comments: