Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A whirlwind in May

It sure feels like we have been on one. The kids have their last day of school tomorrow. Wow, where has a school year gone??? We went to their Awards Night last night, and got the calendar and re-enrollment forms for next year....nothing like thinking ahead, huh? I don't want to even consider how fast the summer will zip by.

Spring brings the attempt to get mares in foal. Breezy, our foundation broodmare had a year off. So, the big question was whether or not she would get in foal one more time. So far, we don't have the answer. The first attempt hasn't gone like it should have and we are still unsure what is ahead. She is back at the Amish farm in Indiana for now. We will know more next week. I took her back down there Friday night and coming home from dropping her off, my truck was attacked by May Flies. So bad in fact, that I couldn't keep the windshield clean for about 10 miles. The coating of bugs on the truck and trailer was about a half inch thick. I had been "bug bogging" instead of mud bogging. At one point I saw a driver stopped on the side of the road cleaning his windshield with bottled water and a towel. It was GROSS!!!

I also have trainer Mike's mare here until she is bred. Her first go 'round wasn't successful and I ended up at Metro Airport on Monday afternoon going from warehouse to the McNamara terminal, trying to figure out where the shipment from Kentucky had been left. I went around the terminal twice to see where I needed to be. In the back of my mind, I sure hoped that security didn't decide I was a threat! She has been bred again, and we will see what happens in 18 days.

We have spent several Saturdays reworking shelters and pastures for the additional critters we are adding since Thomas and Kathryn are both full-fledged 4-Hers this year. We have adapted what was once a pump house into a new bunny barn. It is very nice. We moved the chicken coop. We now have a second calf hutch, although all three calves seem to sleep all snugged up in the same one. We have also built fence and gates. There is rain in the forecast this weekend, so I think inside stuff will get done, like equipment repair. Hay season will be here in a couple weeks, so it is time to get ready for that. Of course, recognize that when I say "we" it really is hubby. I just follow instructions.

Somehow, the whirlwind doesn't seem quite so extreme written out, but believe me, when my head hits the pillow at night, it doesn't take long to fall asleep.

No comments: