Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The bovines outnumber the equines......

I had a need. Two March heifers. My phone call to a breeder was no help. They wanted a lot more money than I had budgeted for the project. I called another breeder, who never called me back. Trying not to panic, I really wanted to get this whole process wrapped up. See, the earlier we get the calves, the easier the project goes. The kids and calves sort of grow up together and breaking them to lead goes much better. So where do I get two calves from........Call Gene.

I met Gene back in 2007 at a cattle sale and have utilized his fitting skills at several shows. He is a wealth of knowledge and loves to share it with anyone who will listen. Being a greenhorn to the present day dairy world, I am one of those listeners.

So I put a call into Gene and told him what I needed. Then impatiently waited for him to make some contacts. Happily, last Tuesday he called to say he had found a heifer. Problem.....I needed two! He didn't hear that part of the request and only lined up one calf. No worries, the Purdue University Dairy Club was having a calf sale over the weekend. He figured he could find one there. No such luck....they all went over budget. So Gene brought Kathryn's heifer Monday morning. Kali took up residence in the calf pen and settled right in. Late in the afternoon, my cell phone rang. Good news! Gene was at a farm and had found a heifer for Thomas. So, after making a second trip to my farm, he dropped off Daffodil. (naming isn't necessarily our strong suit, remember Big Eyed Timothy??)

The kids are spending each evening leading their new calves. (the novelty hasn't worn off yet, just wait 'til mid-June, I will be begging them to get out and lead them) Kali is a very cooperative girl and leads nicely for Kathryn. Daffodil, on the other hand hasn't figured it out yet and only goes forward if someone is behind her poking and prodding her along. It will get better, and hopefully Thomas won't get totally discouraged before she gets it together.

Officially, there are now 8 bovines and 5 equines on the property. Hubby is grinning, since he prefers Holsteins to horses. Now if we can convince Thomas that he can't ride his bike down to the barn with two pails of milk replacer hanging off the handle bars, we will be just fine.

Oh and if you happen to know of any Shetland sheep on the market, let me know. That is the only project that we are lacking. Kathryn is looking forward to taking sheep to the fair.....but not for eating, just for breeding and the wool.

No comments: