Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The misadventures never end

Last night I was putting the finishing touches on beef stew for dinner when hubby beeped me on the Nextel to say that Suzanna needed to head back out and find her heifer. Mind you, it was dark...very dark and foggy out. I figured I had better head out and lend a hand. I stuffed my feet in my boots, threw on a coat and headed out. Hubby and Thomas were filling the hay feeder in the heifers pen, and I couldn't see much. I hollered out to inquire where Rhoda was and the answer worried me. "I have no idea, last I saw she was heading around the house toward the field behind it." GREAT!! I decided the adventure would need a flashlight and went back in the house to grab one. As I came back out, I could hear Suzanna talking on the other end of the house. As I headed that direction, I could see that she was carrying on a conversation with the escaped heifer. I grabbed a couple strands of bale string (could we exist without that stuff?), made a makeshift halter and headed her back to her pasture.

Hubby told me later he watched the whole thing and when Suzanna came out of the house, Rhoda spotted her and ran to meet her. These 4-H heifers sure get spoiled. Of course, she would have ran the opposite way if it had been me. Anyway, we will miss her a lot when she is sold at the end of March. We are hoping she has a heifer for Suzanna to keep, but Rhoda will be heading to a dairy farm to fulfill her purpose in life. I have no desire to start a milking herd. As neighbor Melissa says, "if you milk one, you might as well milk a hundred."

This morning I received my first "Bad Mom of the Year" nomination. I decided last night that the kids school jackets really needed washed. So I grabbed the two I saw, threw them in the washer, started the machine and told Thomas to stick his in the washer and close the lid. Never gave those coats another thought until 7am this morning when Suzanna asked where her coat was. OH NO!!!! was my reply, I never put them in the dryer. But wait, it gets worse.....Thomas only heard half the instructions, which is normal and never shut the lid. So here were their three coats still under water. Thomas felt terrible, and I quickly had to reassure him that this was all on my shoulders. I never thought about the coats after having the brilliant idea that they should be washed.

Now what????? Suzanna said she couldn't possibly wear her barn coat because it stunk like cow after chasing down a very wet Rhoda last night, PLUS it was coated with bunny fur from the ride home from Michigan State last week. Thomas said his barn coat was just plain filthy, but he figured he could wear his spring jacket. Did I mention it was 4 degrees out this morning and the wind chill dropped the temp to at least -20. No, a spring jacket wasn't gonna cut it on a day like today. Kathryn, in the meantime, headed to her bedroom closet and came out with last years school coat which still fit. Suzanna began grumbling and mumbling. She ended up wearing a coat of mine which surprisingly didn't look too bad. It covered her bottom, which with weather like this wasn't all bad. Thomas managed to wear a coat from his daddy that didn't hang off too bad. Served its purpose and no one froze on the way too school.

So much for Mom of the Year. And I had such plans for the prize!!!!

No comments: