Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Boy do I want my hubby back.....

Hubby hurt his back on Saturday. It was a marathon hay moving day with the neighbor boys and sometime during it, he stepped backwards into a hole in the mow and wrenched his back. Of course, it didn't feel that bad when it happened, but by Sunday morning he was hurting.

This is bad on a number of levels. First, it is no fun to see him hurting. He isn't the best sick person anyway....and being miserable doesn't help.

The other aspect to this is all the jobs he does around the place that fell on other shoulders. Such as mine. The kids and I have kept everything fed and watered, but it has been heavy work.

Here is how chores went last night for instance: I headed out to the barn with the Steiner tractor bucket filled with trash....and had to hoist it all into the dumpster, a job Mike normally does. Then it was into the barn, and more hay needed to be dropped down from the mow. Of course the ladder wasn't in the right spot, so I had to move it. Not a pretty scene...lets just leave it at that. The hay bales didn't go where they were suppose to when I dropped them and one smashed the heat lamp we use to heat the water hydrant. It didn't break the bulb, but it doesn't light anymore. Then I had to haul bales out to the horses. Hubby is really proud of "all the feed he gets in a bale of hay". But all that feed equals HEAVY bales. Another job he normally does. Then it was load three more bales into the bucket of the Steiner and feed the heifers. It isn't easy to get bales into the feeder. Must have been a really funny scene there too! Cheap entertainment for the neighborhood. By now, my muscles were griping. Have I mentioned that I have a bad back??? I had surgery on it six years ago and it likes to let me know how it feels on a regular basis.

Last stop for me was the outside wood furnace. That wonderful saver of money is hubby's project. One part of the deal when we decided to get it was that I didn't have to deal with it. Well, so much for that agreement!! I opened it up just like hubby said to do it and stood there watching the flames flare up and out of the thing. I slammed the door shut and considered my options. There weren't any...other than getting wood in it so that my family didn't freeze in the night. I heard the fan shut off on the inside of the furnace and remembered hubby saying something about the flames calm down when the fan isn't running. I opened the doors again and this time was able to shove wood into the thing without being roasted to a crisp.

As soon as I got in the house, I said a huge thank you to my hubby for all the stuff he does in my life that I don't have to deal with. I have always joked that when we got married, our contract stated that I was in charged of indoors and Mike was in charge of outdoors. Last night reminded me why I wanted it that way.

Hubby is feeling better today and did put some wood in the furnace for me this morning. Hopefully he will be back in full force soon.

No comments: