Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Letting them grow up.....

Boy, it is tough isn't it.

Yesterday, as I started getting things around to make dill pickles, Suzanna floated through the kitchen and asked what I was doing. She and I had already talked about her doing some canning to enter in the fair this fall, so she wanted to help me.

I learned long ago that with Suzanna, I play a "stand back and supervise" role when she "wants to help". Her famous phrase through the years has been "me do." Yesterday was no exception. I showed her how to do the first jar, and she took over. How tough it was to stay back and let her do it. Every time she came near any of the boiling water for jars, lids and the vinegar mixture, I cautioned her about not getting burned. She finally turned to me and sighed, "Mom, I know". Yes, but it is STILL my job to warn, isn't it.

They are growing up way to fast.

By the way, all 5 quarts of dill pickles sealed. My daughter shared the same feeling of satisfaction I have had through the years looking at something I preserved from the garden. Can't wait to taste them in a few weeks.

No comments: