Friday, August 15, 2008

Dedication

I sit here blogging this morning with toothpicks holding my eyes open. That is because I got sucked into watching the Olympics until very early this morning. I watched an 18 year old girl win a gold medal. According to the announcers, she had started dreaming of that moment since she was 4 years old. Really! I couldn't help wondering who was dreaming that, her parents? (side bar thought: Dad is a former Olympic medal winner) or her?? I have a hard time believing that was all her idea at that age.

Despite my skepticism, I am impressed with the level of dedication it took for her to achieve the goal. With that dedication, the normal average things that my kids do for fun were probably missing in her childhood in order to reach the ultimate prize. Everything she did had to be weighed against how it would affect her Olympic dream.

So what about us in our Christian walk? I know of one thing in life I should be totally, one hundred percent dedicated to, and that is my Lord. How do I stack up? Do I give up self for Him? Do I weigh every decision I make against my ultimate responsibility to achieve the goal of being more like Him? I know where I am in this challenge, and I have a long way to go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lori, we should have been watching together! I stayed up to watch the gymnastics too! And Lauren took great pity on my and got up and 6:00 this morning!