Friday, May 2, 2008

Modesty in a world that doesn't care.....

I am frustrated. I have an 11 year old daughter that needs spring clothes and the world thinks she should show her midriff, chest and most of her legs! I don't happen to agree. It is impossible to find clothes that will fit her and cover her appropriately. This is not a new problem. For some reason the fashion powers-that-be decided when girls go from 6X to 7-8, they no longer need to be covered up. It is time to be provocative, and to be quite frank, TRASHY! We are trying to raise daughters that are modest, and unworldly. It just isn't easy in a world which puts value in all the wrong things.

In the past, I have been able to find patterns and make a few dresses that work for church. This year a run through four pattern books yeilded nothing but frustration. I couldn't even find one that with some alterations, would be acceptable. Thankfully, school clothes are never an issue, they wear uniforms and the company they come from is a Christian-owned company and they have the modesty thing covered. Everyday clothes aren't a huge deal. She is happy in jeans and a tee shirt. It all comes down to church clothes.

So what am I doing to remedy this situation? I am resizing a nice dress pattern that I have made for her in the past and hopefully it will work. Have I ever done this before? No, but you know what they say, desperate times lead to desperate measures.

Maybe someday there will be a mass fashion revolt and hems will get longer, shirts will cover belly buttons, jeans waistlines will be at the waist and shirts will actually cover what they were meant to cover. No I really don't expect it, but I will fight it in my own way in my little corner of the world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lori, Good luck! So sad that we can't dress our young girls modestly. I have even found that there are some 2T clothes that are just too short.