Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How do they do that????

As I have confessed in the past, I can't back a truck and trailer. Well, I can, but it would take me about 45 minutes to go 10 feet and I couldn't have anyone watching me while I try. So far the pray for a circular driveway or find a man to help me out system has worked. I can remember my dad backing the truck and goose neck livestock trailer into spots that were so narrow he'd have inches on either side. My hubby is the same way.

Sunday afternoon, hubby and I need to move equipment around in the storage barn so that the tractor way in the back was in the front. I am the watch the sides and help back up and hitch person in these projects. Hubby can back up to stuff to hitch up and have it right there on one try. Me, it would be back and forth at least three times. The haybine is very wide, compared to the barn door and is awkward to work with. Never fear, he still knows just how to shimmy it back and forth to get it through the doorway...leaving the doors and trim on the barn and all the shields on the haybine.

Then it was time to put it all back. Quick and easy, everything was backed back into a spot. It didn't take 20 tries. He knew how much to move the wheel one way or the other to get it right where he wanted it. So is it instinct or practice, practice, practice????? I suspect it is a little of both, plus he is so much more patient then I will ever be.

No comments: