Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Did you miss me?????

Wow, its been a while since I have blogged. Many exciting things have happened since my last time on. One major issue was that my internet service was down for about four days. That cramps my style, as I enjoy surfing the 'net.

Last Tuesday, Thomas and Kathryn turned 9!!!! They are growing up WAY too fast! Here are a few pictures of their weekend celebrating. They each had a friend over Sunday afternoon and had a great time with Jacob and Meghan. The weather was nice, so they spent most of their time outdoors. They all slept well that night.

They each took cupcakes to school Tuesday morning to share with their class and teachers. It was my chance to pretend I was Martha Stewart. Thomas had white frosting on his, then I added 3/8in pieces of red licorice whips on the top to form "laces" of a baseball. Believe me, they would have looked better if someone on Martha's staff had done them for me, but Thomas was happy and that is what counts. Kathryn's were decorated with color sprinkles, and a lollipop on top to look like a flower growing. Again, Martha's were perfect, mine were.....mine. Kathryn loved them.




Here they are blowing out their birthday candles.


Typical Thomas....he is all about the show. Kathryn played it a bit more coy. She managed to get all nine out on the first try. Thomas, for all his "bluster" took a couple tries to finish the job.





I spent a lot of the week sleeping on the couch with one eye shut and the other on the stable monitor. Christy was showing all the signs of being close to having her foal. Yes, horses have been having foals for centuries on their own, but I still like to get on the scene early and spend some time handling the foals when they are first born. It is called imprinting by the experts and seems to make a more human friendly foal. So finally Saturday morning at about 3:45AM, my patience and lack of sleep paid off. Christy had a beautiful filly. Meet Holly! Haven't figured out what her fancy, registered name will be. That will come later. Needless to say, Saturday night, I slept.....hard. And I have a couple weeks break before Breezy is due. Then it will be back to the couch for more not so restful nights.
The whole process of birth really amazes me. The strong instinct that the foal has to get up on its feet within such a short time of their birth is miraculous. The fact that they know where their dinner is located, that their mother is their protector, all those things are not learned over time, but a part of them since their creation. Nothing is evolutionary in them. Gods creation is truly amazing.

No comments: