Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How kids hear words....

Do you remember as a kid hearing a word in a song or a saying and being sure you knew how to say it, only to find out later in life, you were totally wrong??? My kids are no exception and remembered one yesterday when the kids came home from school.

Thomas and Kathryn had a substitute teacher yesterday. They have had her before, since she is a regular sub for the school. I had to chuckle though, as I remembered the first time she subbed for their class. They had half-day Kindergarten, and because it is a bit of a drive to the school, they went to aftercare for the rest of the day, rather than me make three trips to school a day. They were crazy about their aftercare teacher. They had tons of fun with her and despite the fact that she made him rest every day, Thomas thought she was pretty neat.

One day when I picked them up, he was very upset. It seems Mrs. Cook was sick that day and they had had a substitute. I asked who, and he told me Mrs. Wheelbarrow. I did my best not to laugh out loud and said don't you mean Mrs. Wilbur? No, he insisted, it was Mrs. Wheelbarrow!!! I didn't think it was worth arguing with an upset six year old, but believe me, I was laughing on the inside.

No comments: