Monday, July 23, 2007

They are at it again.....

While walking out of the horse pasture last night, I noticed there was a nest of guinea eggs under the little house that keeps the electric fencer dry. I questioned hubby about them and he hadn't seen them there before. I suspect that it is a new nest and a second chance to add to the guinea population around the farm.

I spoke with a person just the other day about raising guineas and her suggestion is to confine a momma and daddy with the kits for a couple weeks. That allows the babies to get big enough that the tall grass doesn't wipe them out and also gets them better tuned into their mothers noises that she makes. She also claims that the daddy's are actually better parents!

I have a spot picked out. The old well house should be perfect. Just need to repair the screen door on it. I have a while, as it takes 20 plus days and they haven't even started setting yet.

No comments: