Friday, April 3, 2009

Where do I start

This has been a typical crazy week. We survived the Great Lakes Holstein Show. Suzanna placed 3rd in a class of 10 in showmanship, which was great. Especially since she ended up showing Penny. Penny has a reputation. She has been the obstinate heifer on the farm. She is the one that hubby tried to catch last summer and she ran him from one end of the pasture to the other. To say she has been difficult would be an understatement. But, pregnancy must agree with her, since she is much more cooperative now. She sedately walked everywhere she was led for the weekend and I told Suzanna she was the one for showmanship.

On the other hand, Sami, who has always been easy to work with was a BRAT! She thought she was boss every time I had to lead her to the wash rack. She was even worse in the show ring. Suzanna stuck with her, despite needing some assistance from the neighbor up the road. (thanks JW!!!!) She acted so horrible, I began to wonder if she was bred or not. So, since the vet needed to be out for other stuff on Tuesday, I had him recheck her. Thankfully, the ultrasound showed a calf. I guess being pregnant isn't such a happy time for her.

We settled back in to our school routine. We are starting the countdown. As of today, we have 6 short weeks of school left! The twins are beginning to anticipate their birthdays, which will be in a couple weeks. I am thinking about a garden, once spring truly arrives. I was pleased last night to take a stroll through the yard and discover my currant bushes survived the winter. I also had to stop and admire my pussy willow bush. The bush started from branches I cut and rooted from my great-grandma's bush. i remember each spring, my mom would stop by great grandma's a pick a bunch of branches to decorate each spring. My bush has to be at least 18 years old, and was moved from our first home to our current place back 15 years ago this spring. The bush at great grandma's was pulled out a number of years ago, but mine survives!!

Today, I finish up prep work for a Ladies Fellowship mom and I are hostessing tomorrow. I have made six quiche, and am putting together Citrus Sherbet Tortes yet today. Tomorrow I will mix up a Spinach and Strawberry salad with Poppy Seed dressing and bake up a couple batches of mini muffins. Remember, I fancy myself a Martha Stewart wannabe, minus the time done in jail.

No comments: