Monday, April 6, 2009

Some kind of birthday!!!

Today is my birthday, and it certainly hasn't gone as planned.

Yesterday, my sister-in-law and I made plans to go workout after I dropped the kids off, then we would take my mom to Jackson for a trip to Kohl's and out for lunch.

My first clue that plans might need to be changed was when I let the dog out last night at 11pm. There was at least 2 inches of snow on the ground and more on the way. The next clue that this was no ordinary day came with the ringing of the telephone at 12:45. Hubby was needed on a service call to the village sewer pumps. The power was out and the generator wasn't running. When he returned a couple hours later, he told me there was no way we were going to get to school at our usual time, since there was at least 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground. A quick listen to the local radio station at 6 am confirmed that every school in the county was closed. BUT.....our kids go to school one county over and there were NO closings over there. We decided to have them stay home for a couple hours to see what the roads were like once hubby got out on them.

The kids got around and we were ready to head out the door by 9am. Just then the phone rang with a distress call from daddy. He needed us to bring a log chain and pull him out of his sister's front yard. He had gone over to drive up and down her driveway to cut a path so she could get out and go to work. It didn't go so well and he ended up stuck. Thankfully, with good instructions, I managed to get him unstuck. But by then it was getting late and the school day would be half over by the time we got there. So I made a quick phone call to the school and the kids were officially on a three-day weekend. I still managed to meet my sister-in-law and mom for lunch, but we stayed much closer to home.

So it looks like I got two things for my birthday so far. 6.8 inches of snow and Michigan State playing in the NCAA finals tonight. GO STATE!!!!!

1 comment:

MikeandJen said...

no fun.. and state didn't even win...