Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Some things never change

As a kid, mom always hid chocolate covered eggs for my brother, dad and I to hunt on Easter morning. These were the flat ones that were always wrapped in foil and were flavored. It never failed, I was always the last to finish, since my dad and brother got their share first. One year I looked and looked and looked, but never found my last egg. Part of the problem was that mom could never remember where she hid all the eggs, and the frenzy that ensued when we all started searching made it pretty hard to keep track of what egg came from what hiding spot. That last egg was never found.....until several years later.

When putting up the Christmas tree about 4 years later, I got the bright idea that the tree would look better without the four pictures that usually hung on the wall behind the tree. When we took one of the pictures down, what should be stuck to the wall behind the picture?? The missing egg, of course. Mom had put it on the top of the picture frame and it had slipped behind and no one ever saw it. My dad was very generous, and told me I could have it, since it was mine. Thanks dad!!

Fast forward to 2009. My mom likes to hide Cadbury eggs for the kids. She hid them on Saturday, thinking that she would be ready whenever we had a chance to get there. We went over this afternoon after school and the kids started searching. Each had to find four. Thomas got his first, then Kathryn, but Suzanna wasn't so lucky. It was a flashback to when I was her age. She looked and looked and looked......and never found it. In mom's defense, she had a medical procedure done yesterday which required sedation. It has left her with lapses in memory, and she could not remember where she hid the last egg. The kids suggested that she make a map next year so she doesn't forget. Suzanna ended up with one of Grandpa's. He called a few minutes ago to hassle her for taking one of his eggs. She told him he was welcome to the missing one, when and if he found it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What fun! I love Cadbury eggs, Hmmm, I didn't get any this year. Bummer!