Saturday, November 15, 2008

You can hear the sun rise......

Well, not exactly, and especially not this morning. What on earth am I talking about???? It is opening day for all the deer hunters across Michigan. It has been a long standing joke that on opening morning, you can "hear" the sun rise, as hunters bag a big buck. Unfortunately it has been raining all morning, so there was no sun to see or hear rise, and the deer are few and far between.

My family has joined the ranks of deer hunters. In all the years I have been married to him, dear husband has gone hunting once. That was before Suzanna was born, and after a contractor we did a lot of work for twisted his arm to join them. Suzanna is 12, so you can see how long ago that was!

Enter Thomas. His best friend and buddy from church, Jacob, is from a hunting family and this fall, he took the Hunter Safety class in anticipation of being old enough to hunt. In addition, a girl from our church and cousin to Jacob took it as well. Thomas was pretty concerned they were getting ahead of him, so just two weeks ago, he and his daddy took the two-day course and passed "with flying colors".

Thanks to the encouragement from Uncle Rick, our neighbor and relative by marriage, my guys were up before the rooster to get to the woods. Despite the fact that Thomas isn't old enough to hunt deer yet, he still wanted to see what it was all about. Of course, knowing what the weather was going to be like, hubby whipped together a shelter, so that they aren't sitting out in the elements. I received a call from hubby a little while ago, and Thomas was thrilled to have seen three does. They were playing in the field about 50 feet from the shelter and had no clue the guys were there. Of course, they weren't interested in taking a doe. It's all about the big buck.

I have my own concerns about this deer hunting thing. I have only had venison a couple times and I wasn't impressed. Several friends from church are old hands at cooking with it and promise to coach me if my hubby manages to get the "illusive" buck.

I will keep you posted!!!!

No comments: