Sunday, November 16, 2008

Who gets the blessing?

Sunday night our family joined a number of other families from our church in a opportunity for service. We visited four ladies who are now residing in long term care homes and are no longer able to worship at our church on a regular basis. This was the third time we had done this, and each time it seems more special it is.

At two of the homes, we were able to sing to more than just the lady from our church. At one location in particular, there is a dear man who each time we have been there has requested "In The Garden". He and my mom sang it together as a duet this time. A very sweet moment.

These folks are so draw to the kids. I suspect many of them don't get many chances to see kids, and ours are a treat for them. I am grateful that our kids are learning at such a young age to be comfortable around older people. To have the opportunity to serve is special for them.

So who gets the blessing???? I know the idea is to give these ladies a little break from what must seem like long, and sometimes lonely days. But to be honest, I think I am getting more from it than them. This takes me out of my comfortable pew on a Sunday night and opens my heart to the needs of others. That is a wonderful thing.

No comments: