Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Exercising my right....

FINALLY!!!

The talk is over (well, sorta) and the day has arrived. We can finally go to the polls and enjoy an amazing right we have in America. We can vote.

I have been a political junkie for over 20 years. My family taught us early on that we had a responsibility to have a role in who was leading our country as well as our state. In high school and on through college, I worked for a gentleman who was well connected in the National political world. You couldn't help but be mindful of politics when he was around. I started college at Michigan State in the fall of 1984. There was a booth where you could register to vote right in the room we registered for classes. I was SO excited that I was old enough to vote for the first time. I remember Geraldine Ferraro was on campus that fall and went to the rally with a bunch of girls from my dorm, where we proudly chanted "REGAN-BUSH" during her speech!!

Suzanna was born in the fall of 1996, and hubby and I took her with us to vote that November, tucked in her car seat. We have continued the tradition of having the kids go with us and will do it again this evening. Hopefully through our example and conversations around home, our kids will grow up appreciating their right to vote.

Don't forget to exercise today.....the right to vote is a privilege men and women have willingly died for. And also remember that no matter what the outcome....God is in control!

No comments: