Thursday, June 19, 2008

This lady is not my mommy!!!

Mom had to have a medical procedure on Tuesday. The medical staff gave her a sedative prior to it, and boy did it send her to another land!!! They called me back to be with her when it was time to get dressed. She was really unsteady and right off the bat, nearly fell off the bed while dressing. I caught her with a giggle, thinking to myself.....this is gonna be an interesting ride home. Once dressed, she bounced off a couple walls with determination that it was time to leave. But, she hadn't been discharged yet. I helped her bounce off another wall on her way to a chair and we waited for the doctor to chat with her once more.

The nurse came in to give us the discharge instructions, she started to tell mom, but then switched to me, as she said, "she won't remember what I am telling her anyway." Discharge orders in hand, we headed out the door. Me trying to hold her up, while she was convinced she was fine. We must have looked pretty funny to all the people in the waiting room.

Next up was to get some lunch. Thankfully we had the "bossy broad", aka GPS system with us, so I plugged in the need for a Wendy's and she told us where to go. After that the need to fill a coffee craving was great. Asked GPS where a Starbucks was and up the street we went for a hazelnut latte for mom and a mint chocolate chip frappaccino for me. A quick fill-up at the gas station and on our way home we went.

Mom finished her chicken wrap, snuggled under her blanket and was asleep before we were out of Fort Wayne. I made a couple phone calls and slipped into driver mode to get the kids picked up and get her home.

We were nearly home, and mom was beginning to get more "with it". She had begun talking to me more, and had told me at least three times about how many nurses it took to put her IV in. Each time, I patiently smiled and acted like I hadn't heard the story before. Then she suddenly realized, the doctor had never come in to talk with her!!! I said that he had, but she had absolutely no recollection of him being there. I started asking her questions and discovered most of what had happened at the doctors office was gone.

I got her home and reminded her that according to the nurse, she was to take it easy. That meant go sit in a chair and watch TV or read. If she needed anything she was to call me. She nodded her head like an obedient child and I headed home. About an hour later, she called me and asked if she had had any lunch??!!! I took her through our trip home and discovered that most of it was missing in her mind. In the meantime, my hubby had been over there picking up hay and saw her outside doing her bird chores. Is this sitting down taking it easy?? I don't think so, when you have at least 15 bird feeders in the yard. She claimed she only did a few things, but how can I tell when she had forgotten more of the day then she remembered???

I ended up sleeping on her couch that night. She wasn't pleased with the idea, but dad and I didn't give her much choice. Did I mention that the doctor thought this procedure went well enough that she ought to have it again??? Guess what, dad is definitely on for next time. I don't know what they gave her, but it is GOOD stuff!!

No comments: