Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reacting.....

How do you react to news? Especially news that affects you? Perhaps political news? I am one who pays attention to what is going on in the world of politics. I grew up in a family that was very aware, I worked for a gentleman during my high school and college years who had spent time in Washington and knew a lot of the "movers and shakers" in politics during the 1980s. You couldn't help but be aware with Mr. Lipsett around. I was told once to get my head out of the MSU cow barn and report to work immediately at the new Conservative newspaper which had sprung up on campus. That was his style. He also said you needed to write letters to let people know your opinion of issues.

So jump forward a few years (lets not count how many!). I have really begun to follow Mr. Lipsett's advice. I am a letter writer.....well, maybe more of an emailer....but I am letting my opinion be known. My latest was to our US Congressman. There is a committee meeting on the Dairy industry today. He happens to serve on the agriculture committee and I sent him a letter to let him know my concerns relating to the dairy business. Yes, granted our family isn't making our living on dairy, but we are indirectly involved since the kids are raising replacement heifers. And they have been affected by the downturn of the milk price. So I made sure that our Congressman knew that.

Back when the stimulus was being voted on, both my senators and the congressman heard from me then too. Do I think I am going to change the world? Doubtful.....BUT I am involved! Even if it is one in many, my voice has been heard. Oh and a couple weeks ago, the voices of most farmers in our county were heard by our state Representative and he made his decision on a vote for the future of Agriculture in Michigan due to the overwhelming opinions he heard that day. React.....you may change something!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

You are taking after your aunt - I write many e-mails lately and don't stop with my own congressmen.