Saturday, March 14, 2009

Not on my corner......

That is what I am struggling with right now.

The state of Michigan has to have a balanced budget each year. Unlike the federal government, we can't print money when we don't have enough, so "somethin' has gotta give". The budget was released last month and it looks like the Department of Agriculture is on the chopping block to give a lot. To the tune of about 20% in cuts.

This gets personal, when you dig further into what programs the cuts will hit. 4-H and county fairs, two of my favorite things. But there are a lot more things that come under the banner of the Department of Ag. Food inspectors are in that department, the state veterinarians are in there, along with a ton of others. But I am not clueless, I know there is a lot of stuff in that department that could be done away with. Heck, 21 years ago this summer, I went to work for the Department of Agriculture. I was a summer intern, and made close to $10 an hour. Mind you, minimum wage was about $3.45 back then. There was waste then and I am sure it has only gotten worse.

I went on a drought tour across the state that summer, and spent two days taking pictures of the Director standing in the middle of fields of hay and corn, soybeans, sugar beets and navy beans, agreeing that it was dry. Can you say photo op and feel good moments??? You Bet!! The Director of Agriculture standing there wasn't gonna make it rain. And taking an entourage of a state car and an 18 passenger van cost money. The director and five staff members then flew by private plane late on the second day to visit the Traverse City area to observe the drought damaged orchards.

Yes there is waste, and somethings can be cut. But nobody wants to cut their "baby". That special project that means everything to them! So who decides??? If they ask me, I am going to tell them not on my corner. And everyone else will have the same defense for their baby. I don't have any good answers, but I do know that 4-H has done a lot for many generations of my family and a lot of other families. There has to be a compromise somewhere, and hopefully it will be reached soon.

No comments: