Saturday, February 21, 2009

Listening when you are asleep

Yesterday morning, the weather people were all buzzing over the potential winter storm headed our way. When the alarm went off at 6am, I was listening with half an ear to the experts prediction of 4-6 inches of snow by Saturday night. I got up and began to get ready for another day at the zoo.

When I came out of the bathroom a few minutes later, hubby informed me that Mike Flynn on the radio said 6-15 inches of snow. WHAT???? I had just heard 4-6 inches a few minutes before. I told myself it must have been a revised forecast and went on into the kitchen. As hubby headed to the basement to check the wood burner, he told me he was really confused, because the TV forecast was for 4-6 inches also. Sheepishly, he said, "I think I heard Mike Flynn give the time 6:15, rather than the number of inches we were gonna get". That's what happens when you aren't awake when listening.

Oh, and the great storm we were going to get. They backed it off to 2-4 inches. I miss the good old days when the forecasters couldn't look at 20 computer versions of what the weather is going to do. It was a lot less "hyped" back then. I guess everything is news nowadays.

No comments: