Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Things kids say....

Thomas had a bit of a stomach bug on Monday, and ended up spending the day on the couch. Neighbor Melissa gave me a call to check in and Thomas answered the phone. She asked him what kept him home and his reply was a true Thomasism. He explained that he was having "stomach issues". Must be just telling her he had been sick might have been too much information. She got a huge chuckle out of that.

Today, Kathryn was the sicko, running a fever and complaining about a sore throat. I suspected we were dealing with strep, and got her in to see the doctor this morning. Dr. H began asking her questions about what brought her to see him. She explained that her throat really hurt. He then asked her how long it had been bothering her. Her reply, "I believe it started Tuesday afternoon." It was adorable. You could see the smile in Dr. H's eyes as he examined her throat and confirmed that she had a very icky looking throat. A strep test confirmed it and she is now on antibiotics for a week and is out of school until Friday.

Mike and I only have ourselves to blame for the vocabulary our children use. We never talked much "baby talk" around here, and I think we are seeing the results of our conversations.

If the kids had to get sick, I am glad it hit now rather than last week. I was in Grand Rapids for the annual Fair Convention, and I would have found it rather impossible to be in two places at once. I had a great time, was busy each day and picked up some really great ideas for future use. The only bummer was the snow storm that hit back home made it impossible for my hubby to join me Saturday afternoon. Despite the fact that I was in the snow belt part of the state, home sweet home was slammed with over 8 inches of snow. Hubby was in combat mode all weekend, fighting the ever increasing piles of snow that were accumulating. He spent most of Saturday morning moving snow so he could get into the hay barn and then more time to move snow to get it put away in the barn at home. The bottom line was there was no hope for him traveling up to see me. Oh well, there is always next year!

No comments: