Monday, June 15, 2009

Finding God in the darkness

It was a very dark weekend at the zoo.

Kathryn has been impatiently waiting for us to get everything ready for her sheep project. She had expressed an interest in raising sheep, but not the "kind they eat". So after a conversation with a fellow fair board member, we decided on Shetland sheep. They are a small, easy to raise wool breed and would be a great introduction to the world of shepherding.

We took possession of three freshly weaned lambs on Friday night. By Saturday morning it was all over already. Two neighborhood dogs got in with them in the night and all three died as a result. In addition, they also seriously harmed the kids market bunnies and the momma bunny too. Darkness was at the zoo.

As my hubby and I dealt with the vet, sheriff's department and comforting our children, I truly felt God in the midst of it all. In the heat of the moment with adrenalin pumping, it wasn't so easy, but as I began to reflect on the morning, it was obvious.

First, those dogs were still in the sheep pasture as Kathryn discovered that the lambs were hurt. She NEVER went inside....what the dogs might have done to her?? who knows, but she was protected. When I contacted 911, I was told that it could be awhile, since there were only two deputies patrolling the county and the State police were on duty at the racetrack. Yet, the sheriff's deputy pulled into our driveway within 15 minutes of my call. A call to the vet emergency line yielded a callback with about 5 minutes. He had just finished a call and would come to us next. He was there within minutes and was so kind to Kathryn as he explained to her the sad news that the third lamb would not live.

The biggest lesson I learned was how deep Kathryn's faith is at 10 years old. We sat together in the pasture for awhile after it was all over, the tears were flowing from both of us. And she asked the question that I had been asking, "why did God let this happen?" Obviously I didn't know the answer, but told her that despite the sadness we were feeling, God was still there, giving us comfort. I let her know that God allows things to happen, KNOWING that we grow closer to Him, and trust Him even more. She looked up and said "kinda like Job, that book is full of troubles, but he still trusted God." Wow, what more could I say?? She was already learning and growing, even through the tears she was shedding.

Shortly after we were married, our Pastor encouraged each family in the church to choose a verse and claim it for the year. That year, Mike and I chose Hebrews 13:5, which says "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He had said I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." How many times have I gone back to that verse in years since choosing it. And yet again on Saturday and the days since, I have remembered it again and again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for all of you.

naswanson said...

So sad. So sorry. And thankful for a 10-year-old's understanding of God's sovereignty. "A little child shall lead them..." We, too, are praying.